Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm a doctor, who happens to suffer from...

Q.) I’m a doctor, who happens to suffer from OCD – my particular fear is getting HIV / AIDS. I know all the facts and know that how the disease is transmitted, but as you know, having OCD, reason and logic go out of the window. I have tried gradual exposure in the past, which worked, but I have slacked and have gone back into my shell. I’m ready to try a new approach. I want to expose myself to all the normal triggers without doing the usual checking / reassurance techniques. I heard it is called flooding. My question is how effective is “flooding”, if it is done properly – i.e. if I strongly resist the urge to check and get reassurance.

A.) Flooding is very effective for some people. I prefer combining things. Some people pick one thing that they think will be effective and leave everything else alone. I am of the view that I want as many tools in my toolbox as possible. Just knowing that they are there helps tremendously. People that are checkers doubt themselves. When you do something that is necessary like lock your door, say to yourself, I have locked the door, I checked it once and now I'm going to go about my business. If and when you do feel the anxiety that maybe you didn't check it right, or maybe it's not really locked, this is when you say, "Stop!" I used to also say, "I don't care!" God is in control, If I check the door, my OCD will be worse, if I resist and feel this pain now, that feeling of pain means I'm getting better because I am teaching my brain a new way to process this fear. So when I get sudden fears in my life, I say, I am going to choose to react to this fear by saying, I am sure of myself, I know the door is locked, when I do things, I always get them right the first time. If I missed something, it doesn't matter, I'm human and I'm doing my best and me doing something one time is my best. You will have a whole bunch of thoughts fighting these statements, ignore them because you are speaking into your life what you want. This is biblical too. Phil 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

(Questions are briefly answered here in this blog. I am currently creating a product that will answer these questions in great detail with "how to" step-by-step instructions and audio, so check for this in up coming e-mails!)


"Get rid of checking for good!"

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Here I'll talk about OCD and how to beat it :-)

Search this blog!

FriendFeed badge

View my FriendFeed