Friday, September 5, 2008

Is my boyfriend causing my anxiety or am I with the wrong guy?

Q.) I worry excessively about different things over periods of time, usually a few years at a time. at the moment it has \\\"moved onto\\\" sexual thoughts, where i am constantly worried whether i would have done this or that with a guy, and the reason that i worry so extensively is that i am in a happy long term relationship and would never want to cheat on my boyfriend, but if i think someone is attractive in the slightest, i worry \\\"what if\\\" and could i ever have done anything and my mind thinks of every possible thing, even the worst thing that could happen and i really stress that i could actually have done it if the situation had allowed it. I stress to a point where it interferes with my daily activities quite badly. Is this \\\"normal\\\" for an ocd sufferer and what can i do about it? I am on medication and have been to psychologists and a psychiatrist. Please help if you can! Many thanks!

A.) This is normal! I have seen this and even been there myself in a slightly different way, although all OCD's are slightly different because we make them up in our minds. I used to see women at the college that my girlfriend went to and I would have definitely cheated, in fact I did with two girls, not at the college but back home. I finally had to tell her and this just tore me up inside. I actually got major OCD after the first one and I paid for it for two years! She broke up with me and after a lot of apologies and flowers and major life changes she decided to give me another chance and I have never done it again!! From experience I can tell you, it's NOT worth it! It hurts everyone around you and yourself! So when this thought pops into your mind, say, nope, not going to go through all that! Then start to think about how grateful you are for your boyfriend.

On another note, if you are always looking at other guys, you may be with the wrong guy, maybe you'll need to break up with him and date other people.

How to determine this is to ask yourself if you love him. If you still like being with him, do you want to work it out, can you see yourself with him in the future. If you can answer yes to any of the above questions, talk to him and see what you can work out. If you can answer no to one or more of the above questions, you may need to re evaluate your relationship.

"Become free from your social OCD today!"

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Here I'll talk about OCD and how to beat it :-)

Search this blog!

FriendFeed badge

View my FriendFeed