Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Question below!

Q.) I have OCD for past 7-8 years. I am afraid of getting communicable disease. Please help

A.) The good news is that you have isolated the fear that drives your rituals. You are afraid of getting a communicable disease.

Now we both know that that is a faulty belief. Now you must challenge that belief to undermine it.

Ask yourself questions like a child such as...

Why am I afraid of getting a communicable disease?
What are the actual odds of getting a communicable disease?
Do I want to spend the rest of my life worrying about this?
Do the majority of the population worry about this?

If most people can choose not to worry about this, maybe it's ok for me to not worry about it too!

The odds are pretty low, and I would rather spend my mental energy on other thoughts.

Don't worry about how long you have had OCD, it's not proportionate to how long it takes to get rid of it!

So you've isolated the fear, you've challenged your belief, now you must replace your belief.

Our brain does behavior for a reason, so you should not just stop OCD without replacing it with something, your brain will need to fill that need the OCD took care of. You don't want it to fill it with another form of OCD. So instead, choose what you will replace your OCD with.

Whenever you feel like doing your ritual, decide to thank God for blessings in your life instead.

Seriously do this this week and let me know how it worked!

Derek

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Here I'll talk about OCD and how to beat it :-)

Search this blog!

FriendFeed badge

View my FriendFeed