Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Question below!

Q.) Basically my mind is stuck, like anyone with OCD. But I\\\'m not worrying about anything that can physically harm me. (germs, stove turned on..etc) I was in this class where we go once a week to an elementary to be a big buddy to some kid. There was no reason to dislike the kid I was a buddy to and I really don\\\'t dislike him. For some reason I just couldn\\\'t continue that class. I don\\\'t know why but it was always on my mind even though nothing happened. So I switched to another class where I would just kinda help with some mentally handicapped students at our high school. It was the only way I could get out of the one class and I was always good with mentally handicapped kids, so I thought I would be fine. (the same way I felt about elementary kids) More or less, the same thing happened. I got out of that class and was fine for about a week. (the same way I felt when switching out of the elementary one) But then I saw a picture of me and the elementary kid that was taken. Right away I had no problem with it, but then I obsessed about it and had to go out of my way to take it down. (someone else had it hanging up) I was fine again. But barely a day later I just kept thinking about the kid and worry that somehow him just knowing me and thinking about me will keep me from enjoying things. No reason at all. I don\\\'t feel guilty at all and I know there is no reason to think that somehow just knowing him will keep me from my normal life that I had. So the main thing I\\\'m worried about is that I\\\'m afraid I\\\'ll keep thinking about him just knowing me. But by worrying about thinking about it I think about it and there\\\'s nothing I can do about like dropping a class. Sometimes I\\\'ll reason to myself why this fear makes no since and I get momentary relief, but then it keeps coming back. Is this OCD even if there is not a ritual besides trying to reason to myself why my thoughts don\\\'t make since?

A.) This is the beginning of OCD, but you don't have to worry because I am going to show you how to break this cycle. The next time you have the thought of that kid or any kid, just pray for him or her/ Lord Jesus, please be with that student and may You bless them! In Your name, Amen! Then focus on what it is that you have to get done or that which you love. Of course the thought of the kid will be there and you have prayed for him/her and I'm telling you that's all you can do and is the best most moral thing that you can do and you've done it, so now it's ok to allow yourself to focus on other things. Now focus on what you love to think about and what you need to get done, whether it's work, school, family, etc. Let the annoying thought linger there and as you focus on the things that you love and or the things you have to do, the lingering thought will go away. If it comes back, and it will, even strongly, just start over, rinse repeat, this is teaching your brain how to break this thinking pattern and is very powerful.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Here I'll talk about OCD and how to beat it :-)

Search this blog!

FriendFeed badge

View my FriendFeed