Thursday, August 28, 2008

Question below

Q.) I have an obsession with illness and death. I am both afraid of such and also think about both all the time. I am 63 years old and have had this since I was around 40. It has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I have tried the usual therapies and medicines but I still suffer immensley. Can I be helped?. I was thinking of stereotactic surgery. I look so forward to hearing from you.

A.) I would definitely go the medicine route before surgery. I honestly think that only the most severe cases where surgery would have a duel role in helping someone that it's appropriate. I highly doubt in your case you should consider this option as you could make your fear come true.

What I want to point out is that we attract the things that we fear into our lives. By fearing death, you may be thinking about doing surgery and ironically that itself could kill you, thereby bringing into your life the thing which you fear and think about all the time. Rather, If the thoughts are just unbearable.

I would talk to your doctor about a good medicine and then learn some mental exercises that you can master. The medicine will make it easier for you to do them. Then you can talk to your doctor about weaning off the medicine, while relying more on the mental exercises.

I would strongly suggest the natural way every time. But it would be foolish to leave out tools that could help and I don't feel that there is anything wrong with medicine when it's indicated.

However, if you want to go the natural route, do mental exercises. What I mean by this, is things which require mental work, such as trying to not perform a ritual and telling yourself that you refuse to live an OCD free lifestyle.

My OCD was horrible and I did not use any medication to heal it. I did it the hard way. By not performing rituals and seeing how it didn't hurt me. This was tough, but I learned some very valuable skills that I have applied to many areas of my life.

It's never too late to find a passion, take some time and find yours. Not only will you be more happy, but you'll find it much easier to let go of unwanted thoughts.


(Questions are briefly answered here in this blog. I am currently creating a product that will answer these questions in great detail with "how to" step-by-step instructions and audio, so check for this in up coming e-mails!)

"Let go of OCD now!"

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Here I'll talk about OCD and how to beat it :-)

Search this blog!

FriendFeed badge

View my FriendFeed